The Silly, the Sweet and the Smart with Coral
Nature time for preschoolers from the home of a Swan Lake Naturalist. See what Coral has in store for your little ones every Wednesday at 1:00 pm until April 22nd. Sweet moments, silliness, smart facts and always a story.
Recommended for children aged 3 - 6 years old.
Episode 3: Outstanding Owls
- Seeds of knowledge: meet the three common species on Southern Vancouver Island, look closely at the wings, talons and skull, listen to calls
- Simple ways you can help: Please do not use rat poison.
- Science words: carnivore, nocturnal, food chain, poison, talons, owl pellet, crepuscular, raptors, camouflage, adaptation, ventriloquism, taxidermy
Huge thanks to those that provided owl footage:
Mark Daly at https://natureasart.photoshelter.com/index
And our generous sponsors….
Victoria Natural History Society, Telus and the District of Saanich
Episode 2: Our native frogs and toad
- Seeds of knowledge: info about their skin, our native and invasive species and watch them eat.
- Simple ways you can help: Please leave them alone! Never collect amphibians from the wild.
- Science words: amphibian, endangered species, pollution, tadpole, metamorphosis, ecosystem, oxygen, population
For more information about the plight of our native amphibians and the importance of leaving them in their natural habitats, please see the following resources:
Episode 1: Rascally Raccoons
- Seeds of Knowledge: info about the fur, skull, hands and tail of the raccoon
- Simple ways you can help: put your lidded garbage out in the mornings not at night
- Science words: omnivore, molars, pelt, mammals, nocturnal, kit