Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary Society is hiring two temporary Nature Sanctuary Summer Assistants. (2 positions)
To be eligible to participate in this initiative, individuals must meet the Canada Summer Jobs criteria. Please review the criteria prior to applying. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/funding/canada-summer-jobs.html
The Nature Sanctuary Society is a registered non-profit charity organization that fosters understanding and appreciation of nature through direct experience. For over 45 years the sanctuary lands have provided a home to an incredible array of native plants and animals, and educational experiences for millions of people to forge deeper connections to nature.
To be successful in this role you will ideally have a background in environmental studies, biology, or project management. Successful candidates will gain experience in invasive species management, project management, research and non-profit administration.
- Assist with invasive plant management, provide general labour and use landscape tools
- Assist with water quality sampling and data collection
- Assist with assembling, cataloguing and preparing historical documents and data sets
- Implement an assessment of public awareness about conservation efforts at the Nature Sanctuary
- Create communication materials about conservation work
- Assist with other administration and site tasks as needed
- Able to use landscape tools and assist with site maintenance
- Scientific skills including plant identification and some basic microscopy
- Excellent communicator and able to work comfortably both independently and in a team environment
- Willing to work both outdoors and indoors
- Ability to identify hazards and work in a safe manner (need to wear CSA certified steel toe work boots and other personal protective equipment for some tasks)
- Willing to work some weekend days
- Valid Class five drivers’ licence (preferred)
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Digital skills
- Data Collection and Management
The Nature Sanctuary is following all Provincial Health Orders and WorkSafe BC’s best COVID-19 safety practices to ensure a safe environment for staff and visitors.
Job title: Nature Sanctuary Summer Assistant
Work Week: Full time 35 h / week. May include weekend shifts.
Anticipated Duration (contingent on Canada Summer Jobs funding): 8-12 weeks
Remuneration: $17 / hr
Please email application to email@example.com by 3 pm Sunday, April 11 using subject line “Nature Sanctuary Summer Assistant”.
Include all materials (cover letter, resume, and the names of three references) as a single pdf with your last name in the file name.
The Nature Sanctuary Society is committed to building a diverse staff and will be hiring through an equity lens.
We are grateful to all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is dependent upon funding from the Canada Summer Jobs Program. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of this work however the list is not exhaustive and other duties and responsibilities will occur. The Nature Sanctuary retains the right to amend responsibilities as needed.