Interested in ecological stewardship, but don’t know where to start?
Come to the Nature Sanctuary to gain hands-on invasive plant management skills you can use in your own backyard.
Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary launched a new program in 2022 Adopt A Patch, where volunteer groups embrace and rehabilitate designated plots on the Nature Sanctuary grounds or waterways. This program is ideal for families, schools, organizations, or other community service groups as a team building, learning and restoration activity. Activities are adaptive and accessible for a variety of abilities, group sizes and knowledge levels.
As we saw throughout British Columbia in the fall of 2021, flooding and subsequent erosion of river, lake, and wetland banks can be catastrophic! That is what makes it particularly important to restore riparian habitats (any land next to a water body) and increase the capacity of these areas to prevent excessive flooding, provide homes for native species, and filter pollution. There are many patches around Swan Lake which are overrun with invasive plant species and afford great opportunities for high impact rehabilitation.
Your Adopt A Patch stewardship team will be trained to remove invasive species and restore native plants with hands-on activities. As the program develops, videos will supplement in-person learning, and participants will be able to advance through modules, learning restoration concepts and earning badges. This program will build your practical knowledge which you can then translate to conservation activities in your own backyard and neighbourhood.
Consider the Adopt A Patch program at the Nature Sanctuary this year, and see the positive impact you can make for climate resilience! For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Not interested in consistent ongoing restoration? Consider Tuesday and Saturday crew. If you have a group of folx interested in one restoration experience, you can also book a 1-2 hour session with a staff member guiding (cost: $35/h for staff wages and tool rental).
Please be aware waivers are required for any restoration activities on site.
Have you attended a restoration session at the Nature Sanctuary before? If so, we want your feedback!
This 23-question survey is designed to gain insight from people who have volunteered in restoration or stewardship at the Nature Sanctuary.
Our goal is to better understand how restoration & stewardship activities affect volunteers' physical and mental health, wellness, and pro-environmental behaviour. Further, we hope to better understand which communities are engaging in these programs.
Your responses will be treated confidentially and will not be seen by anyone outside of the Nature Sanctuary. Summary data will be used to create infographics
Since Fall 2022, students from Reynold's Highschool have engaged in nature journalling, in addition to doing restoration and lessons in ethnobotany on site. Below are some of the thoughtful journals they put together.
1. Andie's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/13Ai5n8JajKki5uY1dan1FSzdnHcfCaPQ8jZ4VPT6tC8/mobilebasic
2. Lily's Environmental Science Doc - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RvQojqNUoJ_gdZcsbTenUtgek0Q_vG41ijnbUWO1Skg/mobilebasic
3. Brook & Finn's Podcast About Jeopardy https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MQ_5XVQn8_o6Y61dlIpKSoLEpYTeOW1T/view
4. Menakahi & Pragya's Photo Journal - https://www.canva.com/design/DAFlXAecgBk/E00CEmn-JxIYz30Fxops4g/edit
5. Nico's Swan Lake Highlights Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZtULyY5yyxxvvdfr0-a-FtvTLM7MlluWJ7sO3e8SUmY/mobilebasic
6. Sarah's Nature Journal, Featuring Pollinators - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BEynh1n5njU7e010vz6pCf9X70DscGvBW_yVeP6EzCc/mobilebasic
7. Hanna's Nature Journal- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oGuem_YIDH7iVtZb_vPwQn1qZG-YKX9wyUVE8TRoP-U/mobilebasic
8. Nature Journal by Anonymous Writer - https://docs.google.com/document/d/11XPdqKkQAF4ODYRZXYWUxi0zrTxxftTrYck4TcOcOb8/mobilebasic
9. Carson's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HUR32t5qjnjcVXHuwxKC2IEQ-SIJOfh4hjKPam-N6uY/mobilebasic
10. Lisa's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/13qiu8hriMSXFfyqRDrxT9uUIS1Ilxhsc2kRZtd1RXmw/mobilebasic
11. Kamila's Nature Journal -https://docs.google.com/document/d/1adbJZWOrFTaub0phbHxBuRLEt_0G7E9gkDf2oRS1OgU/mobilebasic
12. Mya's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u9koeJjmJfY1hnFMkfPmKiafAC2a4PG1Fvdc_fCafqE/mobilebasic?pli=1
13. Eoin's Nature Journal -https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B83yM0r_FVMwPU76bAE8EuBQT5t1blGV5qwxGD18OB8/mobilebasic
14. Brayden's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/19SCIwGP4wNUvmVdVUVtx4sAX0l8qQkYtcxuLGg3kBTo/mobilebasic#heading=h.l5o58lfrcha9
15. Tori-Ann's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WztCr_uX2Yk-ehq0JqNQHzSYOp1r1GmyR5VEaq1ylq4/mobilebasic
16. Natasha's Nature Journal https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-IgwQPU9-BYDjRyr9_FDY8htkEDYJvY0phSwBdU83R8/mobilebasic
17. George's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/188mHCeJMWRQPi6rCvZPu-sQLnNbnYYfUz9MPgp0gfec/mobilebasic
18. Sophie's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/13pYI0Tqj4sPIOOteHuodlW-qSmfodkAwfhuRdj3CNwI/edit
19. Oliver's Nature Journal - https://www.canva.com/design/DAFlBEjW5-8/qZFXMjAZKG0hhVAnURNWnQ/edit
20. Cole's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ORJ-ijdEeocHzMuEhHUZp1kMbN67ukcp3kgND-PPdXo/mobilebasic
22. Cypress' Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C6BnAC5ukBwfSC2vt9egaaR7a6QBtrheYDenLF1fgqQ/mobilebasic
23. Ella's Nature Journal - https://me-qr.com/dXNaUHRG
24. Nature Journal by Anonymous - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OvbuMHtRHaBvEMSgfTkv1AU5L_qotMWzCGXT_0Yi7tM/mobilebasic
25. Ellery's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y4B-M0n4b_c1Xhs0nqOkpzrhLwxxnn2-lEH06bxv5ao/mobilebasic?pli=1
26. Maciah's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/19wPhMc0yPMEuuXH1jNdxKn-bWl_bPF81bo6RXt3_g7k/mobilebasic
27. Fergus's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KK6S-3Ysy8w65ct-f6DP2zDtaxaMY4hO3KcJNHaUCQI/mobilebasic
28. Edward's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/15xzDDL0YQ6U2nw4y5NRyk8ECM-N6kuFaS80RsWUn4p0/mobilebasic
29. Jonah's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/14HaFdrxoU7WZxDXrq7UKrn4VKJKWgmIBX5nUR2_BJWA/mobilebasic
30. Mason's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HcISvGJu4UASAfaPm-wFiWYjl4IZrRCHDKcSFfF9xb0/mobilebasic
31. Audio recording (Reynolds secondary school 4) – might need to download to play it? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eWShGX_N9ANrEWcyl5G5BUVI6WpwGCqD/view
33. Thea's Nature Journal -https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ku3xwQBlDjCaRsdUAzU6JWzraZ8iJ_cAfFpzxGZMvsA/mobilebasic
34. Samantha's Nature Journal -https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RX8T_w3GuxEY8hmQYKzEhWMi4ldmvz8N4K8pRorZ390/mobilebasic?pli=1
35. Berlin's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZnDAyRXKMDlSvctGwptdcDKdFYbx1iAlx1fV_-cyFiQ/mobilebasic#heading=h.ssn06caqerd4
36. Romy's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/16ZGlZWXS3QG_HpsJuKu3qW0tsz4lndfC4wHA2CamBlA/mobilebasic
37. Lillian's Nature Journal - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z3YbjWoHqg1w257EZQWEwjCBB-f7aTX2q5tMt_sWhq0/mobilebasic