Student Field Assistant
Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary is pleased to offer a summer job opportunity to a qualified student with a background in natural areas management, horticulture, conservation biology, geography, environmental studies and biology. Successful candidates will support our many programs including: site maintenance, building maintenance, trails maintenance, weed control, ecological restoration projects, and general labour including heavy lifting and carpentry.
Eligible Student Participants
To be eligible to participate in this initiative, individuals must:
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- General labour: trail maintenance, carpentry, landscaping, weeding
- Sciences: Plant identification, propagation, general biology
- Invasive Plant Management: Plant Identification, mechanical treatments
- Able to use tools such as lawn mowers, brush cutters, garden tools, shovels etc.
- Able to use basic carpentry tools
- Class five drivers’ licence
- Willing to work outdoors in all kinds of weather
- Ability to work independently and have demonstrated the ability to work as part of a team
- Field work that includes operation of a canoe, water safety awareness
Duration and Hours of Work
Employment Duration: Summer 2014; Exact dates to be determined
Remuneration: $15/hour (based on 35 hour work week)
Closing date: April 3, 2014
TO APPLY (or for further information):
Co-op students should identify their program.